Friday, September 30, 2011

Memories from Fellow Pioneers

With just over a month to go until we celebrate our Centennial anniversary, here are a few of of the memories featured on the Pioneers website. Click here to read all of the memories that were shared by your fellow Pioneers.

"I started working for the telephone company in Bremerton, Washington in 1940.  Since I didn't have a lot of service, they put me on the night shift.  I had finished my shift and was ready to leave when the Chief Operator came running and said "Come back, we need you!"  The Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor and most of our ships were destroyed or sunk.  All of the operators came back to help.  It was certainly a big job.  In Washington state, I  worked in Bremerton, Seattle and Olympia.   In Oregon state, I worked in The Dalles and Portland.  I worked as an operator when I moved around during the war.  Finally settling in The Dalles, Oregon where I worked as Evening Chief Operator and then Chief Operator.  The office closed in 1973 and I went to Portland, Oregon.  In 1976, I retired and moved back to The Dalles." Helen George - Qwest Pioneer

"In 1987 as president of the MidState Empire Chapter in NY, one of our life members suggested that we clean the Appalachian Trail.  I explained that we were already doing a section of it every year and he said no I mean the whole trail.  I thought that it was a great idea and pursued it.  We spent over 500 hours mapping out sections of the trail and determining how many people would be needed for each section of the trail, coordinating the pickup of the trash removed, etc.  In April 1988 over 2,000 volunteers cleaned the entire trail over a single weekend. The weather cooperated in the north but there was snow on the south. My entire family took part as I'm sure was the case with other volunteers as well. I'm very thankful to my Chapter administrator Cliff Genez and all of the many member of the MidState Empire Chapter for their efforts to make this project a "Great one"."  John A. Bauman, AT&T Pioneer - Florida Chapter #39

"My best Pioneer memory is a love story, how the love of Pioneering and volunteering lead to my happy ever after story.  I first met Rick while we were attending the annual assembly is Indianapolis in 93.  We both were representing our local Tennessee councils – he the Knoxville area and me the Jackson area – about 300 miles apart.  Our 2 councils had always competed for the Tennessee Council of the Year.  That competition developed our Pioneer friendship leading to our first date – Dipping DOGS at a state meeting.  After long distance dating for 8 years we married.  Our honeymoon was spent volunteering at the Bellsouth Senior Golf Classic in 2001.  We love our Pioneer family who helped bring us together. Now 10 years later we continue to be active in Pioneering and the love story continues."  Melinda Davis - AT&T Pioneers, Tennessee Chapter #21  

No comments:

Post a Comment